Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Saint Ralph

Last two weeks have been really bad for my running. The previous ones were good in the sense every time I ran I increased my distance by 1 mile and I came up to 7.1 miles in 65 min on the treadmill with zero degree inclination. I believe its much harder to run outside but I do think I have this mental block and can train much harder if I am in the gym. Lately I have been getting too restless and unable to run as I was able to before. Hopefully will get back on track before its too late. To get some motivation, I started watching some sports dramas and came across the movie "Saint Ralph". The movie is based on the true story of a 14 year old who believes he can win the Boston marathon, thereby perform a miracle and get his mom out of coma. The innocence of the kid is well portrayed. The things that struck me were:
1. The kid believed he can win the marathon.
2. He trained hard, every day, not missing a single day of practice.
3. At the starting of the movie, he was known in the town as a wanker but by the end he was known for his running. Bottom line, he doesn't care what people think.
4. There isn't an iota of self pity on the part of the boy.
Now, this is starting to look vaguely familiar as the moral of the story we had to write after each story in our English textbook in our third grade. So I better stop.

Favorite dialogue from the movie : "It wasn't God. It was the bump on your head." :)

2 comments:

Sailaja said...

Think i should watch this one. His will power must have worked wonders.

mili said...

@ Sailu - It's a good watch